November 16, 2020
Companies in the business of storing customer vehicles need to be protected. For example, truck drivers who are called to tow cars in the middle of the night frequently must store the cars in their shops for the night. If a few hours later, someone breaks into the shop and vandalizes the customer’s vehicle, the driver can be held liable.
Garagekeepers liability coverage is designed to offer protection for business owners who offer towing services or operate service stations, similar to the scenario described above. This coverage protects customer vehicles while they are kept at the business location for parking, storage or to perform maintenance or services in the event of fire, theft, vandalism, explosion or lightning.
TWO TYPES OF GARAGEKEEPERS LIABILITY COVERAGE ARE AVAILABLE:
- Direct Primary Coverage: Coverage for a business, even if the loss is not the business’s fault nor are they legally liable.
- Excess Coverage: Additional coverage over the limit of coverage that the vehicle owner or customer has from his or her own insurance company. This will automatically pay if the customer does not have auto insurance.
GARAGEKEEPERS LIABILITY COVERAGE IS DESIGNED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Automotive and motorcycle dealers
- Service stations
- Restaurants, hotels and special event operations with valet parking
- Private parking lots and structures and airport parking lots
- Car washes
- Other businesses that accept custody or control of vehicles belonging to others for a fee
We understand that unfavorable incidents can occur. Garagekeepers insurance assures that you are adequately protected. Contact Reliance Partners today for more details.